Thursday 13 January 2011

Lane Smith









Over the Christmas holidays I wrote an essay for Critical Studies on the theme of post-modernism. The brief asked me to choose a designer from my pathway area that I thought had made a significant contribution to contemporary design.

The Illustrator I chose was Lane Smith born in Oklahoma 1959. Lane has illustrated and written loads of children's books and also had work published in the New York Times, Rolling Stone and Regardies Magazine. He has also been involved with some well known children's films working as a concept artist for Roald Dahl's film adaptation of "James And The Giant Peach" and art director for Disney Pixar "Monsters Inc".

There is a strong use of surrealism and dark humour in his work, which is something I really like and reminds me of comedies like Monty Python and The Mighty Boosh. I really want to give oil paint a try after looking at these images.

No comments:

Post a Comment